This recipe features the Chef Laura’s Montreal Steak Spice, which is a classic Canadian spice inspired by the World-Famous Schwartz Deli in Montreal. Use this spice to add a touch of nostalgia and tried-and-tested flavour to any protein (like steak, fish, firm tofu) or starchy carb (like oven-roasted potatoes). When you are using unseasoned rice vinegar or low sodium soy sauce, taste the seasoning and add more salt if needed.
- 1/3 cup soy sauce
- 1/2 cup grapeseed oil (or any mildly flavoured oil)
- 1/3 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tbsp Chef Laura’s Montreal Steak Spice
- 1/4 tsp hot pepper sauce, optional (Chef note. Hot pepper sauce or any type of Tabasco sauce or hot sauce of your choice cause some like it hot)
- 1 tsp dried minced garlic (optional)
- Place the soy sauce, olive oil, lemon juice, Worcestershire sauce, Chef Laura’s Montreal Steak Spice blend in a blender. Add hot pepper sauce and garlic, if desired. Blend on high speed for 30 seconds until thoroughly mixed.
- Pour marinade over desired type of meat. Cover and refrigerate for up to 8 hours.
- Cook meat as desired (e.g. pan sear, oven, BBQ).