Throughout my life, I have had the good fortune to spend considerable time in pristine wilderness and have also seen first hand some devastating results of our human impact. These experiences have led me to become passionate and also concerned about our environment. As a result, my team and I are committed to sustainable practices in our kitchen and in the meals we serve.
Out of this commitment we are proud members of the Vancouver Aquarium’s Ocean Wise Program, which is dedicated to the development of sustainable fisheries. We are intent on doing our part to make a difference in how our oceans are fished and how food gets to the tables we serve. As a result, we serve only fish designated by Ocean Wise.
We belong to The Green Table Network, a locally based social enterprise created to provide frameworks, connections and programs for food service operators to reduce their impact on environment by using less energy and creating less waste.
Our practices for sustainability are:
- We prefer to use chicken and beef that is grass fed. (We realize price dictates otherwise for some clients.)
- We use fair trade organic coffee.
- We support local and organic growers and serve as much food in season as possible. We believe local produce which is in season provides the best flavor and nourishment.
- We only provide locally sourced reusable equipment such as dishes and cutlery unless otherwise requested by our clients.
- We have replaced disposables with reusable, biodegradable and compostable items.
- Food, paper and floral waste are composted.
- We donate leftover food from events to the various shelters in the Greater Vancouver area.
- Cleaning products are biodegradable and ammonia and phosphate free.
- Paper products are 100% recycled.
- We recycle cooking oil.
- We cultivate our own herbs.
Our consideration for the environment affects our choices and actions from menu selections, the places we shop, food preparation, all the way to your table. It is our way of giving back and contributing to a future we want to be a part of.